Thursday, October 11, 2007

Movie Review

Last Night I went out- no kids! I just went with some of the girls from our book club. We went and saw "The Jane Austen Book Club". It was not the best movie I have ever seen, it was a little slow but overall I enjoyed it. I am a sucker for romantic movies and I happen to enjoy Jane Austen. The movie is about a book club that focuses on Jane Austen's books but while they are reading these books the characters lives are similar to the lives of Jane Austen's characters. It was fun for me because I know four of the six Austen books fairly well. It was fun to find the correlation between the book characters and the movie characters. I think that the movie would still have been enjoyable without knowing Austen works but definitely better if you did know the basic story of "Pride and Prejudice", "Emma" etc. Mostly it was fun to get out with the girls. Our book club is reading "the giver" this month. It's a very interesting book and I think we are going to have a great discussion about it.


The only bummer is that I have had this headache for a couple days now. It feels like my head will explode and my throat feels a little sore. I am hoping it doesn't turn into anything more but it makes it a little harder to enjoy things.


It has turned to fall here. It feels like it happened over night, it went from clear sunny skies to cool Autumn weather. I enjoy the fall, I like wearing socks around the house and being able to use the oven without feeling bad about how hot the house gets. I just hate that I know winter is coming. I am not ready for the short days and impassable roads. I have enjoyed getting out with my kids and I know it won't happen as much in the winter. Speaking of getting out Garret started going to "Toddler Time" at the library. It's every Tuesday for about a half hour. He gets to sing songs, do art and read stories. He really enjoyed it and I feel like its good for him to be around other kids and work on following directions. I was very proud of him this week. He listened to the teacher so well and he was polite and at the end he ran up and said "thank you teacher" and gave her a big hug.


This is a picture of the "Art Wall" I made downstairs. My friend Angela gave me the idea and Garret loves putting his art on it.


Last night Tyler and I slept upstairs so we weren't in the same room as Spencer it helped a little I only got up with him twice, normally I am up a lot more than that. Hopefully it is a sign of good things to come.


We made 72 hour kits Monday for family home evening. It got me thinking a lot about being prepared. I feel like we are doing the best we can at this point in life but I can't help but hope that nothing bad happens til we are done with school and living somewhere else. I feel safer in the country. I think about my parents and they have a wood burning stove a well, land they could live off if they had too. It scares me here because even last year when we had no power we had no heat for a few days. Now that I have kids I really want to try to be as prepared as possible. It is a scary realization that I am responsible for two little people if there was some sort of natural disaster. It was so nice when I was young because I didn't worry- someone else was taking care of me. I hope my kids always feel safe with me. I am sure I sound like I am freaked out that bad things are going to happen and I'm not I just hope if they do I am prepared.

4 comments:

kristenita said...

it was fun last night! thanks for organizing it. AND, I've never read jane austen & I loved the movie. and now of course I want to read all her books...
glad you got some sleep last night, being in a different room helps a lot.
SO SCARY to be responsible for kids & there's too much to think about as far as disasters and all that stuff! sometimes I don't want to be SO responsible...
(sorry for the long comment.)

Amber said...

I love the art wall - and I'm totally going to steal the idea when we get our house.

I feel the same way the you do about preparedness. It's different when you have kids and you realize that YOU have to make sure that you are prepared for them. They cannot fend for themselves and we are responsible for their care/well being/education/nurishment/spiritual growth...etc.

Scary sometimes but definitely worth having kids.

steph said...

i totally know what you mean about being responsible for someone else. it's scary...especially when you don't know what you're preparing for!!

Debbie said...

I loved reading your blog today. So many things to think about. The part that I loved the best though was knowing that you felt safe as a child. I had all of the same worries that you have now, and to know that all the while you felt safe makes me feel good. You guys are doing such an amazing job. Your kids will probably tell you someday how safe they always felt too. Still a little scary though - Right?

Love, Mom