Thursday, February 21, 2008

Spencer update



My little Spencer is definitely growing but is not a big mover. It has worried me some just because I don't want him to get too far behind and even though I have always believed there is nothing wrong mentally - there was still a part of me that was never positive. My doctor recommended just getting him evaluated by early intervention. Wednesday they finally came (Spencer had made so much progress since the time the doctor referred me and when I met with them I almost cancelled- I’m glad I didn't). After their evaluation they eased my mind of any mental delay. In fact he was above average in a couple areas and up to speed in all the rest accept gross motor skills (big movements). To make a long story short the evaluators explained to me that even though odds are he will just catch up when he gets motivated there are chances that if he stays behind it could affect other things (he could have more social anxiety because of his lack of independence or things like that). So little Spencer gets his very own in home physical therapist once a week until he is caught up. They have it scheduled for six months but said it could easily take just a couple weeks. I really feel like once he gets the desire (this kid is pretty chiller) then he will go for it. He can run in his walker so I don't think he has any strength problems. I just don't to risk further delay.

He really just brightens my day!

4 comments:

Amber said...

He is really cute. I don't think there is anything wrong with him but it's always nice to have some expert opinions and help. He'll move when he's ready and that's all that really matters.

It must be nice to not have to worry about him getting into anything the minute your back is turned :)

Anonymous said...

Oh what a cutie pie our little Spencer is, kids believe or not, all move when they want too!!!
Love to all,
Grandma, Grandpa & Uncle Trenton

Aaron & Devony said...

What a cutie! It's nice too to have your concerns relieved! I'm sure you'll be posting soon that he's into more than you want him to be!

Aaron & Devony said...

What a cutie! It's nice too to have your concerns relieved! I'm sure you'll be posting soon that he's into more than you want him to be!