Friday, March 21, 2008

"Vacation" with Hufflump, Hecer and Gamma




Stephanie (Huffalump), Hector, Garret, Grandma, Me, Tyler and Spencer

We just got back from our little vacation. It was so nice getting away for a couple days. We got anxious and left Sunday after Church. We headed to Saratoga Springs the first night. On the drive we were talking to Garret about vacations and he kept saying we were not on vacation yet. After a lot of questioning we realized he thought that hotels were vacations.

Garret getting ready to swim at the "vacation"
While in Saratoga Springs we went to the battlefield and just down the road from there we went to a maple syrup farm and watched them make maple syrup and we even got pancakes with syrup. (Sorry Mom but I think your pancakes are now ranked number 2)

The Battle of Saratoga



The Maple Farm


We drove through Hartford on our way to Newport and visited Mark Twain's house (we tried to see Harriet Beecher Stowe's house- they were neighbors, but it was closed on Mondays) Mark Twain's house was really impressive. The architecture and details were so fun to look at but our tour guide was AWFUL. We were the last tour of the day and we had kids (who were perfect the whole time) but she decided to give us the shortest tour ever, that was a little frustrating but it was still worth seeing.

Samuel Clemens AKA Mark Twain's house


Then we met up with my Mom and my sister Stephanie and my brother in-law Hector in Newport. I think Newport is so cute. It has this old mansion walk and even though I think it is outrageous that anyone lived in such enormous homes they were awesome to look at. Old architecture and history fascinate me I love picturing what it was like then. We enjoyed the little shops of Newport and we stayed in this hotel that used to be a jail.


One of the Mansions


The Atlantic OceanNewport BayTyler's Idea


Garret was so excited to see everyone. He can get so worked up over things. He has been talking about seeing "Gamma" and "hufflump" and "hecer" for so long now it was nice to have it actually happen so I don't have to hear about it anymore.

After Newport it was on to Boston. We had a great time here as well. We ate at cute local places, walked the freedom trail and Garret loved that he could see airplanes out the hotel window. Spencer finally discovered sticking his tongue out and I think they must have done a good job with his surgery because he has a long tongue. I thought it was the cutest thing so every time he looks at me I stick my tongue out so he will stick his out. By this point he was ready to come home. So when Thursday rolled around we made a quick stop at the Salem witch museum. Then headed for home.


USS Constitution Museum A very old graveyard




Part of the Freedom Trail- Paul Revere's Grave- I am reciting "Paul Revere's Ride" by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
The Old South Meeting House- where the Boston Tea Party started

Statue of Paul Revere near his homeThe Old North church where the lanterns were hung!

I have a million things to do with my Mom while she is here I know it will go by way to fast. I love getting to see my family. I loved our vacation. I love that we had halfway decent weather for our trip. Why can't Tyler be in break more often?

6 comments:

Water Buffalo said...

I am so glad you posted..I was starting to worry about you. :) How fun for you to see such interesting places and things..and with family!!Vacations are great!

Amber said...

I'm so glad you guys had a great vacation. Abygail will be so happy Garrett is back. Every day I ask her what she wants to do and she says "Play with Garrett!"

Let us know when your mom leaves so we can get the kids together :)

Anthony & Kristie said...

Looks like you had a good spring break. I agree, why can't they be on break more often. It is nice to not have to revolve life around tests.

Luffamily said...

How fun!! I love history also...that is why I minored in it! I would love to see Mark Twains home. It is always so nice to get away from the everyday life of school and home.

Alicia said...

so glad you had fun! i love your pictures! where did you end up staying?

Natalie said...

It sounds like a great trip! I am glad you had fun. Aren't vacations nice?