Friday, April 18, 2008

I thought I was safe


I read my friend Abby's blog the other day about her son asking "why". I thought to myself "well,he is a couple months older than Garret so I have four or five months to come up with a strategy and to compose a lot of answers". Unfortunately he decided not to wait, he has embraced his new word with great enthusiasm. For example while folding laundry our conversation went like this-
Garret- "we play dress-up with the clothes?"
Me-"Not today we are going to do the laundry real fast so that you can go take your nap"
Garret- "Why"
Me-"Because you and Spencer are getting tired"
Garret- "Why"
Me- "Because Spencer woke up in the middle of the night and you played really hard outside"
Garret- "Why"
Me-"Spencer woke up because he was poopy and you played hard because the sunshine was out and Daddy needed you to help him with the yard"
Garret-"Why"
Me-"It doesn't really matter why, when we are tired we have to go to sleep"
Garret-"Why"
Me-"We are all done asking why"
Garret-"OK, I pretty tired, me go night-night?"
Me-"As soon as the laundry is done"
Garret-"Why"
Me-"How about we just go night-night right now and we will talk more when you wake up"
Garret-"OK"

Maybe it's a phase.....Like every stage there seems to be good and bad (well not so much bad as challenging) things. Garret can now entertain himself for awhile (he is still not great at this- what can I say he was my first and I played with him all the time til Spencer was born) and he is just so much fun!

2 comments:

Debbie said...

If you could only see the big smile I have on my face right now. Been there, Done that !!

Love, Mom

Lindsey said...

Oh how cute. I love your little family!