Monday, May 26, 2008

HEY TYLER, LOOK OUT!!!!!!


Today makes me think of how much I love life. I love the ups and I love the downs. I love how I feel when I look at my wife and kids and I know that I get to be with them forever. I know this is already starting to sound pretty mushy, so if you have a weak stomach you might want to stop right now. I am amazed by how many things just seem to amaze me. Like the way my hands smell after I have just peeled an orange or the way my kids look at night when they are sound asleep or the way that I can never get enough of Michael Scott from The Office (I love you Michael). Yeah, I know life just isn't, what do they call it, peaches and cream (which I don't even really like), but when it comes down to it, the fact that we get to participate in this thing we call life, well, that's pretty great.

So to the point, seven years ago today I got in an accident. Now I am writing this more for me then anyone, because I don't want to forget what it was like. I was on my mission and I was serving in Rochester, NY. I was at a Memorial day picnic in the city at the church building we met at. It was mid afternoon and I had just got done eating some BBQ chicken. Some of the kids at the party asked me to play catch with them, and since I am a sucker for baseball I went for it. We were playing in the parking lot and one of the kids threw the ball out into the road. I went and got the ball and somehow (this part has always puzzled me, and I don't remember it, so I guess I will never know exactly how it happened) as I came back a van came up on the side walk and hit me. I flew backwards into the street and the van proceeded to hit me again, running me over and dragging me underneath for about 30 feet. The van hit the curb on the other side of the street and I popped out from underneath. I don't say this a lot, but I know that angels were watching out for me. They loved me and they were there to protect me. There is no other way to explain how I lived. A large van (we're talking full sized, no stinken mini-van) laid me out. Now for those of you who know me know I am no where near being a tough guy, I'm not even a semi-tough guy. For all intensive purposes I should have died seven years ago today, but I didn't. It's weird to think about it. Not being alive. There are so many wonderful things that I would have missed out on. I would have never been able to see my children born or marry the women I love with all my heart or met all of the incredible people that I have met since that day. A shout out to my friends, you all know who you are (pretty much if you didn't make it this far you are not a true friend and we shall never speak again from this point on, so congratulations friend). Thanks for making life fun.

I guess when it comes down to it, each day we have is a gift. Now whether I forget that most days (which I do), doesn't make it untrue. So Memorial day for me, on top of being a great day to remember those who have sacrificed so much for my freedom, is a great day to remember how precious and fragile life is. I hope that I can remember that more often this year, and in doing so have an all around better time with life and all that comes with it.

Hope I didn't drown you in to much fluffy talk (I don't really know what else to call it), I just thought I would throw that out there for myself in future years, and who ever else felt like hearing it. Peace out, and don't forget to laugh at yourself daily.

Tyler

2 comments:

Brent and Kashann said...

Tyler, I don't think I have ever heard the full story! What were your injuries? I'm going to have to ask you about it sometime.
I loved your perspective on memorial day. Thanks for reminding me how much I love my life also.
I also have been run over so we have that in common.
kashann

Just the Three of Us said...

This is my turn hearing the whole story as well and wow!!!! what a story! Let's just say that Mark and I are super glad you made it through that and that we know you enjoy life! Thanks for the reminder about us doing the same.