Tuesday, October 7, 2008

The Long Walk

Well, I am sick again. I don't know what is wrong with me. This one came on so fast and I could hardly sleep last night and I have been super hot then cold and anyway it's not pretty. It was such an awful day to get sick because I was going to go to book club tonight. We read "The Long Walk" and I really enjoyed it. It was not quite what I expected but I liked it a lot. I thought it was going to be a little more reflective a little less matter of fact. It is the true story of a man that escaped from a Russian work camp. He walks 4000 miles and endures more than I can imagine. He encounters amazingly kind people along the way and it makes me want to be kinder and more willing to give and serve, he travels with men that become his great friends and it makes me think of what kind of a friend I am. He is traveling for the course of a year and lives on almost nothing (little food, little water) and he suffers a lot but it does make me think of how little we actually need to survive and I feel a little guilty about all the things I think I "need". It also made me think about civil disobedience, when is it ok to break the law?(I have a lot of thoughts on this and I think it is kind of and interesting topic). I also thought about what I would endure for my freedom and how my perspectives on freedom and suffering have changed since having children. I am way more scared for their suffering than mine. I wish it had talked more about what he learned from it all, what it was like going back to normal life etc. because I am sure he would have profound insights. I would highly recommend the book and I am sorry that I do not get to participate in tonight's discussion.

1 comment:

Marianne Thayne said...

Sorry that you are sick and I hope it doesn't hang on too long. Book Club is something you really seem to enjoy so I guess you will have to look very forward to the next one. Get Well.
Aunt Marianne