Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Another Year has Come and Gone

I can't believe that 2008 is over- time is flying by so quickly. We love our life here, we love the stage our family is at, we love each other. I don't ever wake up and think, I have to get through today. I genuinely love this life I am blessed with- I want to savor it a little more, slow it down and soak in every second of it.

This year was a humbling year in a lot of ways. Tyler has felt humbled by school- the boards primarily but the whole experience to some degree. I often feel humbled in my role as a Mother. I measure myself by a standard I can not seem to live up to. The good thing about this year is that I feel like we came out of this year ahead. We are not financially ahead, Tyler is not the head of his class but our marriage and family is strong and we have tried to make the most of our experiences.

I have loved this year. Here are a few of the highlights-

-We visited Boston, Rhode Island, Connecticut and everything in between during spring break.
- Garret is all the way potty trained and has been for most of the year.
-We spent the summer with family (helped build a cabin, kayaked, Tyler hiked, went back to Rexburg where we first met, participated in the mini Olympics with Tyler's family...etc)
-Tyler passed the boards (took two rounds but he passed!).
-Spencer has started walking, talking and gets cuter everyday.
-We finished the Book of Mormon for the first time since Garret was born.
-We reached most of our goals for the year.
-Garret is finally old enough to throw up in a bowl (may not sound like a big thing but trust me it is)
-Had fun birthday's and holidays.
-Took advantage of the beautiful area we lived in (Letchworth, Akron falls, that one place where the concerts are....etc)
-Finally went to Toronto
-Tyler got his bike!

Some lessons from this year-

-If you say you are going to read the Book of Mormon during the year don't wait until October to start (although it was a unique experience reading it fast).
-When challenges come try to embrace it because someday hindsight explains it.
-If you shop ahead for Christmas and don't pay attention to what you are getting the pile gets rather large by Christmas.
-Kids say the darnedest things
-Having two kids is SO fun!
-Heavenly Father watches over all of our lives. We felt it so often in all aspects of our lives. Even when finances got tight something would always come up.
-Driving in the snow is not as bad as I thought.
-You have to be way more careful what you say and do around three year olds then one year olds.
-I learned a lot about my parents this year, I worked on putting some of their stories together. I gained an even deeper respect for the journey they have been on. I also have learned about them from being a parent myself. I hope that my kids will look up to me and feel the same gratitude for me someday that I feel for my parents.
-I did a lot of reading this year. Some of it was just for fun others to grow and I feel like it really sunk in that there are two ways to handle everything.
-I don't think I will ever get tired of my kids. Every kid I have ever been around there always comes a point (no matter how much I love them) that I am ready to give them back to their parents. I don't think that will ever happen with my own kids.
-Tyler is my best friend. I am sure I have written this other years...but it is so true and something I learn over and over. He is so good and kind and we never run out of things to talk about.
-If marriages are constantly worked on then when something hard comes along, your first instinct is to help them through it, not punish them.
-President Hinckley was right when he said we all need to learn to enjoy the journey!


Goals for next year-

-Do service once a week (I am debating whether to put this on my blog or not, I love the idea of having others join me, but I don't want to be the person that flaunts good deeds). I read a quote that said something along the lines of the worst mistake we can make is not doing a little because we can not do a lot. It hit me that sometimes I think "when I can go to Africa, or when I have money....I will do all of these great things" and I realized I want to become a charitable person not just do charity and I don't think I can become charitable if it is only something I do occasionally.
-Meet our stake goals (read the New Testament, attend temple, meet and serve our neighbors).
-Budget- We have lived on a budget our whole married lives but when we were out of town this summer we got relaxed about it and have not gotten back on it.
- Read to Spencer more.
- Have more one on one time with both of my kids
-Excercise more

I hope that 2009 is as great a year as 2008 was, I am excited to see what it holds for us.

1 comment:

Debbie said...

I have always been so impressed with how you think things out, and then do so much. It was a great entry!

Love, Mom