Thursday, March 19, 2009

"Baby Talia", "Huffalump" and "Uncle Heccer"

A couple hours after Gettysburg (a long couple hours filled with questions about war, death and why we can't see their house yet) we arrived at Stephanie and Hectors!

My family will enjoy the last picture...Stephanie does look pregnant! We had tons of fun while we were there. Garret and Spencer were in heaven playing. Hector can play pretend for hours! While we were there the boys built a fort, went exploring, had pillow fights, read books, played pretend, made cookies, saw broken airplanes (at the Smithsonian) and had huge frozen custards!

I got to help Steph register for baby stuff- which was fun and crazy because that means next time I see her she will be a MOM. Us girls took on the boys in pool and we finished fairly well! We also played Monopoly, we haven't played this in ages and it was the perfect game because we went to Atlantic city after DC and that is where the street names are from. We also went to the Holocaust museum. It's not really one of those places you leave and say "wow that was awesome" but it was a good place to visit and it caused Tyler and I both to think about a lot of things- what we would do, shock that things like this still happen, disgust, respect for the people that risked it all for others and a million other thoughts.

This quote was on the wall-
When the Nazis came for the communists,I remained silent;I was not a communist.
When they locked up the social democrats,I remained silent;I was not a social democrat.
When they came for the trade unionists,I did not speak out;I was not a trade unionist.
When they came for the Jews,I remained silent;I wasn't a Jew.
When they came for me,there was no one left to speak out.

I hope I can be a person willing to speak up for others even if they are outside of my circle.

We had such a good time in DC. It was fun seeing everyone and their new house (which looks great). It was fun seeing Steph's belly and thinking how fun it will be to have a new niece. Thanks Steph and Hector for helping our trip be so fun!















1 comment:

Marianne Thayne said...

Looks like you had a nice get away. Looks like Uncle Heccer had a fun time reading too.