Monday, March 23, 2009

If only life had rewind

This morning I had a couple little errands to run. I started out by stopping to drop some bills in one of the big blue mailboxes. I pulled into a handicap spot (which I never do...but the parking lot was empty and it was the closest spot to the mailbox), jumped out and put my letters in. When I returned to the car after my 20 seconds away I realized I had locked the keys in the car and my KIDS.

So I tell Garret he has to undue his seat belt and unlock the car. He laughs. I ask again....and again....and again. Finally he starts to try. He can't get it and after a few minutes of me encouraging him he looks up with tears in his eyes and says "I just can't do it".

Luckily a really nice man (there were a lot of people that just gave me weird looks for talking to my car) stopped and offered to let me use his cell phone. I called a couple friends but didn't get a hold of them. So I call 911 (I didn't know who else to call...it was so lame too because I was so close to home). They said they would send a police man as soon as possible.

As soon as possible turned into 45 minutes (let me mention that it was not warm this morning - low 20's). I stood by my car and waited, occasionally telling the kids to stop kicking each other. In the end it worked out well...apparently police officers only help with locked cars if there are kids involved, otherwise I would have had to call a locksmith and they charge. He didn't say anything about the handicap spot and he even gave the kids a sticker. Garret thought he was awesome and he says he might like to grow up and be a "police rescuer" when he grows up and save people from locked cars. He recommend that I be more careful and we all went on our way.

I was thoroughly embarrassed and wished that I could rewind and undue that hour of my life...

8 comments:

Jess said...

We all have moments like that! Luckily it was cold (even though you had to suffer) and the kids weren't in danger of heat exhaustion or anything like that. I'm glad things went well afterward though. In a few weeks or so you'll be able to look back on this and just laugh!

brent and kashann said...

at least it was cold. one time I did it in the summer time. Luckily we got them out before they cooked.

kristenita said...

oh! that totally stinks. glad everyone was OK & the cop was nice. I'm always scared I am going to do that.

steph said...

i'm so sorry!! and you probably couldn't get a hold of me, as usual!! i live so close too....

i'm glad everything worked out. it seems like everyone has to lock their kids in the car once so now your turn is over. good thinking calling 911. i don't know if i would have thought of that.

Debbie said...

Since you had already told me about this little incident, I was able to really enjoy(yes, I even laughed) reading about your morning. I hope the rest of the day went well.

Love, Mom

Josh Kandis & Hayden said...

oh my gosh! I'm so sorry!!! I was rocking Hayden this morning and missed a phone call and then when I went to see who called it was a number that I didn't know, I almost called it back...but sometimes that's a little awkward so I didn't. :( It was probably you calling from that man's cell phone. I live right here and I totally could have come to rescue you!!! Not that I could have magically opened your doors but at least you wouldn't have had to sit out in the cold.

Kristy E.B. said...

That does not sound like a fun morning! I agree, it would be so nice to have a rewind button in life sometimes!

Warner's said...

I have don ethat a couple times in Rexburg and once here. It's awful and scary and by the third time I felt like I knew what to do. I'm sorry this even happened by how cute is your little boy! He must be really smart.