Thursday, December 17, 2009

Christmas Music

I love Christmas music so many of the songs bring back memories and make me think of people I love. This year we have been listening to the Josh Groban Christmas CD Noel a lot. I love it, it's beautiful and has a lot of the religious Christmas songs on it. My favorite is number 2 Little Drummer Boy. I never really listened to the words until this year.

Here are the lyrics-

Little Drummer Boy
Come they told me, pa rum pum pum pum
A new born King to see, pa rum pum pum pum
Our finest gifts we bring, pa rum pum pum pum
To lay before the King, pa rum pum pum pum, rum pum pum pum, rum pum pum pum,
So to honor Him, pa rum pum pum pum,
When we come.
Little Baby, pa rum pum pum pum
I am a poor boy too, pa rum pum pum pum
I have no gift to bring, pa rum pum pum pum
That's fit to give the King, pa rum pum pum pum, rum pum pum pum, rum pum pum pum,
Shall I play for you, pa rum pum pum pum,
On my drum?
Mary nodded, pa rum pum pum pum
The ox and lamb kept time, pa rum pum pum pum
I played my drum for Him, pa rum pum pum pum
I played my best for Him, pa rum pum pum pum, rum pum pum pum, rum pum pum pum,
Then He smiled at me, pa rum pum pum pum
Me and my drum.

I feel like that little drummer boy so often- what can I give him? I have nothing worthy of his greatness. But then when I do the best with what I have I feel his warmth and know he is smiling at me too. Just like at the little drummer boy. Every time it plays I just want to do my best with what I have to offer. It's like the parable of the talents (don't hide your gift/s use them) . If playing a drum is your gift- play your drum. If smiling is all you can do then smile. I hope this holiday season and always I can use the gifts I have been given no matter how small they are.

1 comment:

Debbie said...

Rachel, you are always so good at sharing your gifts. I have always loved that song as well. When I was in a 9th grade choir, we sang that song, and I loved it then.

(-: Love, Mom