Thursday, August 19, 2010

Thoughts about Boys

My boys love pirates, swords, bow and arrows, knights, cowboys, dragons and any other kind of weapon you can think of.  Ever since having a boy I have been conflicted about how to handle toy weapons.  I thought at first of outlawing them all together- but they are so drawn to them that it seems impossible.  I can't very well say no sticks, no rocks, no blocks because all of these things can become weapons if  their games call for them. 

I never really felt settled about any of my solutions and then a while back I had a thought that made sense to me.  (Maybe I am crazy and it won't make sense to anyone else).  I was watching them play their games and listening to them talk about defending the castle, I saw them arm themselves and head off to battle.  While I watched I thought to myself- These little boys are going to grow up to be Fathers.  I realized that just like little girls are drawn to dolls (not to say boys don't play with them- mine do) and love to hold and love them.  Little boys have this built in need to protect and provide.  I realized I didn't need to be scared that they love those things I just needed to help them channel that inner desire to protect and provide in positive ways. I need to teach them that it is wrong to want to hurt and kill but that it is good to make sacrifices for families and to defend righteousness. I love that my Dad protected and provided for us and that Tyler does it for us now.  I think I need to teach my boys about violence and weapons and help them understand them but I think it is also good to discuss how good it is to take care of the people we love. 

I am still trying to find a good balance but I don't worry so much when they want to fight dragons and save Princess Adele.  I don't think it means that they are destined to the life of a criminal I think it means they have a strong desire to protect and it is up to me and Tyler to help them develop that. 

Just a thought

4 comments:

Debbie said...

I think that is a great way to look at it. I would want every boy to learn to defend those that they are responsible for. And how can you not let them play (choop weeds) with all of the swords that their Grandpa makes for them. Those are really a couple of cute boys you have there.

Love, Mom

Garth, Melissa, Hugh and Graham Porter said...

You nailed it on the head. I was shocked when Hugh turned a banana into a gun at 16 mos. No idea where that came from. Now Garth takes him into the forest to shoot cans with a BB gun. It's normal and good for them as long as it's guided by you and not by media.

Kristy E.B. said...

what an interesting thought--i like it and it gives me something to think about.

Natalie said...

Thanks for the post. Taylor is so into guns and weapons right now and I haven't figured out how to handle it.