Saturday, April 16, 2011

Sick Days

When we were growing up if we were sick we were sick ALL day.  If we were to sick for school we were too sick for anything else going on that day.  My Mom took good care of us if we were sick but we had to go to bed early and we couldn't be around friends.  As a result we loved being taken care of when we were REALLY sick but we (at least I) don't remember ever pretending to be sick.

Garret has had some red eyes and congestion (He really wasn't feeling well).  He woke us up sick this morning...so it was dubbed a sick day.  He got to watch a movie this morning (a real rarity around here), he had to take a nap and go to bed early and he didn't get to play with his cousins.  He seems to be feeling better and I am sure he will be back to himself soon.  We talked about being sick and getting better and I think there is a very good chance that Garret will not want to ever fake being sick either.  He loved the extra TV but not enough to want to miss out on things because of it.

My Mom left this comment after reading my entry-

I remember one day that you stayed home sick from school, and it became one of my most special memories. 
You were laying downstairs on the couch, all covered up with blankets to keep you nice and warm. It was a little before Christmas, and that year had been a year that all you kids had volunteered me to bring cookies to everything it seemed. So while you were resting, I was baking cookies. The Christmas music was playing softly in the background, and the Kitchen was warm, and smelled so good. 
I thought that you were sleeping, but you sat up and asked if it was always like that during the day. It just made me feel good that you liked being there with me, even if you were sick, and that you could see that being home was a good thing.
And yes, you were sick all day, and I am sure that you went to bed early.

I love the memories,

Love, Mom 

1 comment:

Debbie said...

I remember one day that you stayed home sick from school, and it became one of my most special memories.
You were laying downstairs on the couch, all covered up with blankets to keep you nice and warm. It was a little before Christmas, and that year had been a year that all you kids had volunteered me to bring cookies to everything it seemed. So while you were resting, I was baking cookies. The Christmas music was playing softly in the background, and the Kitchen was warm, and smelled so good.
I thought that you were sleeping, but you sat up and asked if it was always like that during the day. It just made me feel good that you liked being there with me, even if you were sick, and that you could see that being home was a good thing.
And yes, you were sick all day, and I am sure that you went to bed early.

I love the memories,

Love, Mom