Friday, September 23, 2011

Intruder

Today we had our first home intruder ever.  I am serious someone walked in uninvited.  Here is how it happened-

I was switching the laundry and Garret says "Mom there is a little boy in our house".

When I came to the living room a little boy in bare feet with dirty pajamas on backwards was playing with toys.  I looked out the door (which is normally locked and for some reason wasn't), no one was out there.  I  kept looking but I couldn't really walk up and down the street with five kids looking for his parents.  I called the fire department because it is close and they said to call 911.  So while I was one the phone my kids were busily taking things he shouldn't get into and putting them away (this kid was really making himself at home).  I couldn't get him to tell me his name or where he lived.  I tried to get him to point and he wouldn't.

The 911 operator said they would send someone out.  Then they called back a few minutes later and said they had heard from the Mom and she was coming over but not to let her take him until the police showed up (ummmm....how am I suppose to stop her from taking him?).  Luckily when I said they wanted her to hang around until the police come she was fine with waiting.  She had another baby with her and they both had fun taking out everything I own.

Finally the police showed up and got it all straightened out.  Even though it was an awkward afternoon, I am very glad that this little boy came here and didn't continue wandering on the road.  So many awful things could have happened to him.  At least he was safe at our house.

My kids thought the whole thing was so crazy.  They couldn't understand why he just came in, why he was getting into everything, why he smelled, they had a lot of questions when it was all sorted out...but in the end Garret said to me "we did a really good thing for that little boy."   Spencer said "that was so cool we got to see a police officer with a gun" and the little boys Mom showed Adele all her tattoos and she kept saying "lady has pictures on her arm".    I guess we all came out ahead...and hey we met a new neighbor!

4 comments:

kristenita said...

woah! glad the mama came for the boy. (no picture for the blog?? haha)

Mike, Kalie, Jason, Lexie and Colden said...

geez.. .did the mom offer any explanation, or gratitude? I takes a lot for a kid to get stinky... I hope someone follows up with her. My little sister used to escape from our house in the middle of the night when she was 2. She stripped all of her clothes off, climbed out of her crib and unlocked doors... super scary!

Anonymous said...

Rachel
You are amazing....and such a great storyteller!
Best to you all

JH in PT

Alicia said...

Holy cow!! Rachel! This is the kind of thing that I would literally faint over. Truly, I think I would have taken one look at that kid and just passed out. I'm glad you handled it so well. I really hope all is well with that little boy...