Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Add this to the list

I have a list of moments that have been really scary and had the potential to be disastrous.  I won't go into the others right now.  Today's very scary moment went something like this....

I was downstairs on the phone.  Adele and Spencer were playing upstairs and Titus was in his walker.  I was talking to my Mom and kept thinking that it smelled really bad in our house.  Our house has a tendency to smell bad thanks to Titus and his diapers but this was different.  I walked around the downstairs while on the phone but couldn't pin down where the smell was coming from.

Finally I got off the phone with my Mom and something in me told me to go up and see what the kids were up to.  The smell was worse as I went up the stairs. When I went in the boys room, where the kids were playing, it was awful.  Immediately I started looking for where the smell was coming from.  My sweet little Spencer had put his socks on top of the light (they are wall lights that have a cover around them so you can't really see down in them).  Once I figured it out I acted fast, I pulled the first sock out and it was only seared the second one was melted and on fire.  I put it out and in as nice a way possible made sure Spencer knew the severity of his actions.  I really wasn't mean but I am guessing by the fact that he hid under his bed crying for a few minutes that he got the message.  Don't worry we talked about it a lot after and I don't think he will ever do it again.  I think our house might smell like burnt sock for a while but no damage was done.

It was a brief part of our day but I still can't shake it.  The thought of what could have happened is still too fresh and scary.  I am thankful right now that I followed the voice in my head that sent me upstairs.  I am thankful that my kids and house are safe.  I am thankful that this moment gets to go on my "could have been disastrous list" and not on some other more tragic list.

4 comments:

Abby Jacobsen said...

I know how those moments feel! I'm glad everything turned out OK. You're such a good mom... so kind and thoughtful not to be mean or too upset with your child about the situation. After hearing some of your stories, I really admire the way you handle things :)

Jen Ranker said...

Your such a patient & loving example. Your kids are lucky to have a Mom like you. I am glad everything turned out okay, and you listened to your intuition. Good job super-mom!

Jon & Margaret Leavitt said...

So glad you listened to your intuition! I'm grateful they are all okay and that it didn't end up being something worse.

Bennett Family said...

I have been away from my computer and blogs, emails for a while. That is so scary!! I would have said something to you in person today had I known! Mother's have great instincts and a mother times 4 has GREAT instincts. so glad the message was received and so sorry for the scare!!