Friday, November 4, 2011

More November Thankfulness

Yesterday I was thankful for teaching moments.  Garret's in kindergarten so he is new to school and friendships and following the crowd.  He made a wrong choice (nothing to drastic).  He talked to me about it and even though my internal response was disapointment and frustration, I was able to stop myself from spewing out whatever came to my mind.  Instead I waited to talk to him until I had thought it through.  We talked about it and it was productive.  My ultimate goal is to help them grow up well, yelling would not have gotten me there.  I know he is little and mistakes happen and I know he has a good heart, I talked to him in kindness and he responded.  I pray I can keep my perspective as he grows and we face more challenges together.  I hope he always feels like he can talk to me.  I hope he always feels the love I have for him when we talk.  I am thankful for the chance I had to guide him.


Today our power was out all morning.  I have no idea why.  The kids seemed to think it was awful.  Which is funny because the sun was out and they could do all the same things they normally can do.  Anyway, rather then listen to the complain we decided to do a project together.  We got out four big bins and then we put one of their names on each one and we went through the box that had all the ultrasound pictures, hospital souveniers, baby blankets they don't use right now, blog books, blessing outfits etc.  We sorted them out and put them in the right box.  We had so much fun.  The kids loved seeing the little treasures and they loved hearing me talk about why it was special.  We had the best morning together- it was productive and fun.  If the power had not gone out we may not have felt like taking on the project.  So today I am thankful that the power was off, that there was no extra noise, no internet, nothing but me and the munchkins together!

1 comment:

Alicia said...

I'm so impressed with your organization - so do you do one big bin and just kind of put everything in there, or do you have boxes inside of the bin that organize things? I'm in the process of organizing kid stuff and would love any ideas! Also, you mentioned blog books - do you print off a blog book for each child? How do you do that?