Sunday, April 29, 2012

Happy Birthday Tyler

We celebrated Tyler's birthday Saturday (his actual birthday is Monday)!  With so much going on in our lives I think Tyler felt like his birthday might be overlooked.  I secretly made sure that the opposite was the case! Here is how it all went down---

I took the kids to pick out Tyler a present the day before his birthday.  They got a set amount of money and I let them decide what to get.  They were thrilled with there choices.  I am not sure how much Tyler will actually use his potato peeler, squirt bottle or water balloons but they were excited. We started his day off with biscuits and gravy- eaten while opening presents- they couldn't wait any longer.

 We spent the morning together then ran a few errands.  After that we went to Olive Garden for lunch. 
 I gave Tyler a gun for his birthday.  But since I didn't want to pick it out I made a gift certificate and sent him out with my brother.  Once he was gone I quickly whipped together a few decorations and food and got ready for a "surprise" party.

Pulling this off was not easy.  I made sure I never told the kids.  If they had known, he would have known.  I bought all the food and kept it at my Mom's  house.  Any time I emailed anyone I reminded them not to respond to the email.  I let Tyler think I had very few plans for his birthday which was hard because I hated letting him think I had no plans. 

So after a couple weeks of secrets I threw it together and it was a huge success.  He drove in and gave me the reaction I wanted. 

For several years in a row we have gone to a baseball game for Tyler's birthday.  I couldn't find one this year.  That is when I started thinking how I could keep the tradition alive.  With our friends all together we played "baseball".  Actually it was kickball with "baseball" written on it.  But close enough- and it was lots of fun- even though the yard was a little soggy.
 After the "big game" we all shared BBQ chicken sandwiches together and enjoyed the spring sunshine.

 Then it was time for cake!  Tyler told me a week ago he wanted pudding cake.  So I went out to my Mom's one day to make pudding cake (didn't want him to know).  Then he told me he changed and wanted ice cream cake- too late- he got pudding cake!  We all enjoyed it.

 The neighbors dog even made an appearance!

 As the party wrapped up (Thanks everyone for coming), we headed off to the drive-in movie theater.  There were kids movies playing (which doesn't happen often).  The kids were all crazy after the long day, the sound was not working well- but I think we all agree it was still a good time.


The day started early and went late.  I don't think we could have fit in much more birthday fun.  I love spending birthdays celebrating the people I love.  I love Tyler and am so thankful to be married to him.  I hope this coming year is a great one for him!

2 comments:

Three Lads and a Lis said...

So fun - you do birthdays the best Rach!

I so wish we could have been there to celebrate with all of you!

Happy Birthday Tyler!

kandis said...

Happy Birthday Tyler!