Saturday, September 29, 2012

Garret's Day

Today was Garret's big day.  It was lots of fun.  We made Garret a Star Wars cake.  A few days before his birthday I was on the phone with my Mom and she asked what we were making .  I spelled it to her since Garret was at school I thought I was safe.  Spencer came to me later and said I know you are making a Star Wars cake for Garret.  I had to trick him into thinking I was tricking him.  I don't know how I got away with it.  The important thing was Garret was surprised and loved his cake.
 
 We ate Biscuits and Gravy upon his request.
 Then he opened his presents and spent a couple hours playing with them.  The kids got him real binoculars.  We got him a snap circuit set.  He played with them all morning.  Changing them around to make alarms, fans, lights and other projects.
 He decided a few days ago that the gift he was going to pick out for himself was a metal detector.  I ordered it rather than go pick it up.  It got here and on time and he was so excited to go treasure hunting.  We had to wait a little while though.

First we walked around town with "the Aunts".  Two of my Aunts were visiting my parents so they came up for the day.  It was great seeing them.
 They enjoyed our charming little seaport town.
 While walking around we decided to mail our "Santa" letters.  Outside the toy store is a mailbox marked "North Pole".
 We grabbed some lunch and Garret was treated to a special birthday ice cream. (There was no shortage of treats for this birthday boy).
 Finally we made it to the beach.  It is safe to say the metal detector was a HUGE success.  And I think he will get his use out of it.  It would beep and they would start digging.  We didn't find anything valuable today....but the memories of an exciting adventure together are priceless.  At the end of the day we found - an old spike, barb wire, a few coins, some bottle caps and a giant piece of metal we finally gave up digging out.
 We returned home to roast hot dogs and smores. 

Then cake and ice cream.  Seriously too much food.

 We enjoyed a little more time with Grandma and Grandpa and "the aunts".
 Sent him through the spanking machine.
 Let him watch a birthday movie and called it a night.
It was so fun watching our adventure loving boy enjoy his day.  He is great and we LOVE him so much.  He said it was a great day and by the end was quite exhausted.

Happy Birthday- Garret-Boy!!!

1 comment:

Marianne Thayne said...

That looks like fun! Happy Birthday to Garret! Don't let him get sick of Aunt's before I get there. Can't wait to see your new place.