Sunday, December 30, 2012

Post Christmas Fun

We went to my parents house for my Mom's birthday/after Christmas party.  Leah's family was there as well Dan's family and my Aunt Tauni, Uncle Brent, Cousin Heidi and my Grandma.  It was loud and fun (we are used to that- some people are not, sorry for my loud kids).
 
Anyway we started out party off by just hanging out.  Talking and eating!  Then it was time for a little fishing pond. 
 
 Titus kept eating the bait! 
 There were some great prizes (like one of my Mom's cancer hats- that's what we call them since that's when we remember her wearing them), coloring books, pop guns and more.

 More chillin with the fam. and more eating (I really need to cut back- more on that topic soon).

 Then we started our white elephant exchange.  We really look forward to the white elephant.  There are always things that make us laugh and things that we all want to steal.  Tyler drew number 1.  He was pretty excited (it's the best number the way we play) and I drew the number right before.  Together we were a good team this year.  We walked away with two of the homemade gifts- so pretty much we scored this year.
 More than anything this year we had fun plotting what we would bring.  Allow me toot my own horn as I tell you what we brought and how it all went down.  Our first gift was a whole set of Bill Peet books.  He was our favorite author as a kid (I was seriously considering keeping them).  I was pretty sure they would be a hit because a number of us have talked about these books recently and reminisced about how we loved them. As suspected it was a hit and was stolen time and time again.  Daniel ultimately ended up with them, much to my Mom and Leah's dismay.
 
Our second gift was a can of fruit.  Leah opened the can and laugh.  I told her how Tyler was suppose to get a gift and forgot and at the last minute pulled a can off the shelf and wrapped it. (An innocent white lie of course.).  She fell for it and accepted her fate.  No one would want the can of fruit so the game was over for her.
 
All game she held that can of fruit, thinking she picked the dud (which was what we wanted of course).  When the game was over, I snatched the can unscrewed the top- it was a safe disguised as a can.  Inside was a key to the real present.  A waterproof, fireproof safe filled with fun things.  It all went as planned....it was classic!  ( I don't know how we will ever top it...but we will try).
 Then the kids played their white elephant game.  There was not much trading but lots of happy kids.

 Baby Tony deserves a quick mention.  Leah gave us all a good laugh when she brought him to the party in her cabbage patch dolls old sweater (he thought it was an ugly sweater party).  What a chunky ball of love that little cutie is.
 
 
 It was a great party.  I am so glad that Mom and Dad had us all over.  It was fun sneaking in another celebration.

The rest of this post has nothing to do with holiday/family/birthday fun, and we are not morbid or weird. 

My Dad is an excellent woodworker.  He built a house (literally), builds boats, furniture, projects with the kids etc.  His latest project has been a coffin.  It is not the first coffin he has made.  He made one a few years ago for a friend.  My Grandpa asked my Dad to build him a coffin so it would be ready when he needs it.  We don't know when that will be and we are in no hurry for that time to come.  My Dad built a beautiful coffin and let us all take a look at it. 

We also snuck in for just a minute to see how comfortable it was and if it could be carried and the handle could take the weight.  Then we got a little silly.  It just happens when we all get together.  So we took a creepy fingers picture. 

It really is beautiful.  I think my Dad has a gift and he is so good to share it with others. 

 I think our Christmas fun is over for this year.  On to New Years!!!

1 comment:

Marianne Thayne said...

I love the pictures--You are so creative with your gifts!!! That was funny to read. I didn't know your dad had made a coffin--glad to know the resource is available and it sure looks nicer than a cardboard box (ha ha!) Happy New YEars to you all there!